NEWS & UPDATES
Artist Page News & Updates
Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer Sold Out!
The October 2 Vail Series concert featuring Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer is SOLD OUT. We will be processing no additional tickets for the community at large. We look forward to welcoming you to future Vail Series concerts.
News & Updates
Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer Ticket Update
The Vail Series staff has made the determination that there are tickets available for outside ticket requests received up to and including Wednesday, September 24. Those ticket requests we have received prior to and including September 24 will be mailed Thursday September 25. Subsequent orders may or may not be filled dependent upon demand on campus. If you are requesting tickets after September 24, be sure to include contact information so that we can advise the status of your request.
News & Updates
ETHEL Denison’s Ensemble in Residence
Date: August 18, 2014 For Immediate Release Denison announces ensemble in residence partnership with quartet ETHEL GRANVILLE, Ohio—Denison University announces the launch of its first Ensemble-in-Residence program, a collaboration between the Department of Music and the Vail Series. The Ensemble-in-Residence program will engage the entire campus and the greater community in an exploration of music and other academic disciplines. The program will host the renowned string quartet ETHEL for the 2014-2015 academic year. “We look forward to having ETHEL on campus to deepen the learning of all our students and engage our community across a variety of settings,” said Denison President Adam Weinberg. “This is a fantastic opportunity for our students to connect with world-class musicians about music and over a whole host of academic disciplines.” Founded in 1998 and based in New York, ETHEL is comprised of Ralph Farris (viola), Kip Jones (violin), Dorothy Lawson (cello) and Tema Watstein (violin). ETHEL experienced its first Denison welcome at the opening of last year’s Vail Series. “Those who attended that concert, as well as their bonus performance in front of Doane Library, can attest to their virtuosity as well as the connection they made with the Denison community,” says Mike Morris, interim director of the Vail Series. “In turn, ETHEL’s musicians were taken by our students’ level of engagement and the warm reception they received at Denison.” As the Denison University Ensemble-in-Residence, ETHEL will be on campus for three weeks in 2014/15; Tuesday, Oct. 21 to Saturday, Oct. 25; Monday, March 2 to Saturday, March 7, during which they will be the featured performers for the Tutti New Music Festival; and finally from Wednesday, April 22 to Saturday, April 25. The quartet will coach and mentor students in the music department. In addition, they will engage their talents in a series of interdisciplinary activities, including:
- With the Dance Department: Workshops in improvisation with Technique and Improvisation classes
- With Environmental Studies: A lunch discussion on considerations of being an environmentally active ensemble, which will include subjects such as an ETHEL member’s efforts to reclaim a New York City park, and how to reduce a touring artist’s carbon footprint.
- With the Communication Department: Contributions from their perspective regarding music and the arts.
- With the Homestead: Tour, dinner and seminar presentation.
- With the Newark Granville Youth Symphony: A master class, funded in part by a grant from Arts Midwest.
- With Kendal of Granville: A mini-concert and reception.
As part of their residency, ETHEL will carry the Denison banner with them as they perform and conduct master classes across the country and internationally. “We are excited to have ETHEL help tell the Denison story of students from around the world who come together to pursue academic inquiry and research, to analyze and solve problems, and to forge the skills needed to succeed,” says Ching-chu Hu, associate professor of music. “We are so pleased to be returning to Denison,” says Ralph Farris, co-founder and violist of ETHEL. “We feel so welcomed into this thriving community and look forward to working with everyone. It’s going to be a fantastic year!”
News & Updates
Vail Series Leadership for 2014/15
The Vail Series was blessed with excellent leadership in 2013/2014. A strong senior class teamed with eager and able first year students, sophomores, and juniors to form a professional team that carried out the various tasks of the Vail Series splendidly. We really hate to see this team change, but it is with great pleasure that we announce the following leaders for 2014/2015.
- Lead Intern – Taylor Hallowell
- Ticketing Intern – Yeo Song Kwon with ticketing sub-committee chairs, Ben Keller and James Le. With added emphasis on continuing to explore new ticketing options, we added two sub-committee chairs to this team.
- Marketing Intern – Shaojun Li and Morgan Phoenix
- Social Media Intern – David Avalos
- Ushering Intern – Archit Agarwal
This new team brings broad experience, with a good mix of new and returning team leaders. Along with the rest of the Vail student staff, they will do a wonderful job in bringing you the 2014/2015 Vail Series. Bravo!